If you are employed at a company or organization which does not run a United Way campaign, and you are willing to help establish one, here are some steps you may wish to follow:
- Ask your employer (supervisor, manager, or owner) to support a first-time United Way campaign. If he or she is interested, you may wish to call the United Way office at 419-227-6341 and schedule a time that a United Way representative can meet with you and your employer to discuss what is involved in running a campaign. The most successful campaigns include the following:
Approximately a 20 minute meeting for employees to see the local video, hear from a United Way volunteer and ask any questions they have about United Way. Once you have your schedule in place, United Way staff and volunteers will handle the rest according to your requests.
This payment option for United Way pledges is the easiest for contributors and makes it more convenient to make a meaningful contribution. If your payroll department has questions about this process, please call Pat Hahn at the United Way office.
United Way has many volunteer opportunities for you and your co-workers. Persons interested in providing direct service can volunteer through the 26 member agencies United Way supports.
- Others may wish to volunteer for United Way itself, either during the campaign or the allocations period. Attendance at United Way events during the campaign is also a great way to feel a part of the overall community effort.
- Consider a schedule for employee meetings for which you can ask approval. Meetings can be held for as few as two employees or as many as you can accommodate. The most effective meetings have between 12 and 50 employees, but much of the size of meetings is determined by employee availability and work load.
- Recruit some of your co-workers to help you. You will need to talk with some employees after the United Way meetings one-on-one about making a United Way contribution. This personal ask can be very effective, but labor intensive. Remember to try and recruit from all areas of your organization.
- Call the United Way office at 419-227-6341 and ask for help. Please do not feel lost in your efforts. Call and let trained United Way staff and volunteers make your campaign work much easier.
Campaigns that need a boost
If you are already doing the suggestions for new campaigns, please contact the United Way office and talk over your campaign with one of the staff. Your participation is very important to the campaign and increased efforts at your own campaign will make the community campaign that much stronger. Thanks.